I was talking to a friend back in Virginia a couple of weeks
ago and she was telling me about some fellow moms who have been gathering
frequently for ‘Moms Night Out’, which usually includes heading to a bar and
drinking until 3am.
My friend is against joining them because she doesn’t want
to invite the temptation. Her husband is about to deploy for nine months, and
the last thing she needs is to get overly drunk in the presence of other men. She
made the choice not to hang out with these women because she knows that the
people you spend time with influence your decisions and your behavior. Spend
time with the wrong people and you will make bad decisions. Spend time with the
right people and you will make good decisions.
It reminded me of something I read recently. In Rediscovering Catholicism, Matthew Kelly
writes, “I love being around people who are constantly striving to better
themselves. They energize me. They inspire me. They challenge me. They make me
want to be a better person.”
I love that last line- They
make me want to be a better person.
And I thought, what better way to be a better Catholic than
to surround myself with other Catholics. Surround myself with those that strive
to be shining examples of our faith. Surround myself with people who pray
frequently, so that I may become more prayerful. Surround myself with people
who go the church every Sunday, so
that I may increase my desire for the Eucharist. Surround myself with people
who go to reconciliation regularly, so that I may learn to trust God’s
forgiveness. Surround myself with people
who live holy lives, so that I may remember to always put God first.
Where do I find these people? Catholic Women of the Chapel. They are such an amazing, inspiring
group of women and I am so excited to be the president. I know with all my
heart that God directed me towards this group because I am going to learn so
much from them. What a blessing!
No comments:
Post a Comment